Marlon the magnificent
August 24, 2017
Admin | 24 August 2017
WOW but we sure do have a strong claims team!
Not only do we get positive feedback from our broker partners but Marlon Daniels, a claims specialist in the Joburg team is powerful.
So powerful that at the Gauteng power-lifting championship that happened this past weekend in Randburg, Marlon lifted an unofficial record. Way to go Marlon!
We weren’t quite sure about the difference between weight-lifting and power-lifting, so we asked Marlon.
“Both weightlifting and power-lifting involves the movement of weight, and generally plenty of it!
Weightlifting comprises of 2 movements above the head:-
- Snatch – to lift the barbell from the ground to overhead in one continuous motion
- Clean & jerk – During the clean, the lifter moves the barbell from the floor to a racked position across the chest. During the jerk, the lifter raises the barbell to a stationary position above the head. Finishing with straight arms and legs, and the feet in the same plane as the torso and barbell.
Power-lifting comprises the following movements:
- Squat – The movement begins from a standing position. Weights are often used, as a bar braced across the upper back. The movement is initiated by moving the hips back and bending the knees and hips to lower the torso and accompanying weight, then returning to the upright position.
- Bench press – The person performing the exercise lies on their back on a bench with a weight grasped in both hands. They push the weight upwards until their arms are extended, not allowing the elbows to lock. They then lower the weight to chest level.
- Deadlift – A loaded barbell or bar is lifted off the ground to the level of the hips, then lowered by controlled effort to the ground
In the various categories of power lifting, Marlon’s lifts were as follows;
Squat: 200kg, 212,5kg, 222.5kg
Bench Press: 155kg, 165kg,
Deadlift: 190kg, 205kg, 215kg
The squat, bench press and overall total was a new unofficial SA record for Marlon.
Congratulations Marlon – we are proud of you!